Sunday, March 2, 2008

Week 9, Thing #20 - YouTube



This YouTube, that I have embedded, is called "Thank You Note" and it's only 2:00 long. It's definitely worth watching. It is a very creatively done story of a young girl who discovers the author, Zilpha Keatly Snyder in her library and the impact the the author and the library has on her life and career. I chose it because it was so well done, had a good message and was inspirational for librarians. I found it by doing a search on "elementary school library" and then looked at the listings, looking for one with some stars which wouldn't be too long. I had previously searched under "Dewey Decimal" and found some very amusing, but way too long, videos. There are a number of library videos that were entered in contests, which are certainly amateurish but fun to watch.

I am amazed at how many people put videos on YouTube. I think the sight is very user-friendly, which explains its huge popularity. It is not overwhelming because you only see what it is you are searching. I was amused by the "Videos Being Watched Right Now" which changes every few seconds. There were some good selection there. Some of the snapshots looked X-rated. I'm not sure of the YouTube policy. I held my breath and tried clicking on one to see what would happen and was relieved to see that it said it was a violation and wouldn't show it. Of course, it seems that it got posted in the first place. Perhaps they get weeded out after they are posted.

You can really spend a lot of time on YouTube. My daughter has posted a little video of my granddaughter and we all enjoyed that. YouTube is certainly a fun aspect of Web 2.0

No comments: