Saturday, March 1, 2008

Week 8, Thing #18 - Zoho

I started looking at Zoho two days ago and mentioned it to my husband, who became very interestedsmile because he has been working on finding the best way to teach his physics class at UMass remotely to students at other schools. He quickly learned how to set up a Zoho meeting which allows others to view his computer desktop (he has a tablet PC).  He can then teach his class, drawing equations in Powerpoint and the students at the remote locations can watch this on their computers.  He had to combine this with Skype because Zoho doesn't provide audio with their Zoho meeting.  He wrote to them and learned that they are working on doing this, which will be a great addition.  My husband said he'd become their tester.  So now, he'll be able to teach his remote students live with visual and sound.  By using a webcam everyone can view one another also.

Last evening we tried out Zoho meeting between our two computers and it is interesting.  I "initiated the meeting" and "invited" my husband as a "participant".  So, his desktop became the mirror image of mine.  Everything I did on my computer appeared on his but I was in control of the mouse.  I could also allow him rights to control the mouse, and so he could go into my documents on his computer and view what was there and make changes if he wanted.  surprised  I didn't allow that for very long.  

This week, the librarians in my district will have such a meeting with the Destiny (Follett) software representative to show us the program.  We are trying to decide if we want to make the change from Infocentre.  I guess that he will use a program similar to Zoho meeting to allow each of us, in our libraries, to participate in the meeting.  So it's been interesting to see how we ourselves can do this through Zoho Meeting.

I'm using Zoho writer to create my blog entry and am curious to see how easily it will export to my blog.  upload. I plan on exploring some of the other features of Zoho as time allows.  tongue_out

P.S. So, after many trials, I've now managed to upload my blog entry from Zoho Writer. I have deleted my first bad attempt but if you are getting it as an RSS feed you will see both attempts. At any rate, the emoticons didn't come out as images. Maybe I'll figure this out later.

3 comments:

hornetlady said...

I really liked Zoho too, but I see that you've experimented even further than I did. My youngest daughter is taking online courses in fashion design, so I can definitely see where a collaborative setup like Zoho would enhance her educational experience. Is your husband's physics course asynchronous or does he require his students to be online at the same time? I took an online course once where most of the work was done at your own pace, but the instructor required a specific time slot for discussions - an ideal arrangement.

LibraryStrong said...

Yes, his students are online at the same time. He also has a projection device set up so that teacher and students can all see one another. He teaches graduate physics courses that, due to budget constraints and low numbers of students taking the courses, can't be offered at many universities. So professors take turns teaching them and students from other universities can take them remotely. Seems like a trend for the future.

Unknown said...

Hi,

Many thanks for trying out Zoho Meeting. We are working on Audio conferencing, which we hope to complete soon :)
If you need anything else, I will be glad to help..
my email id is srk (at) zoho (dot) com

Cheers
SRK